Sunday, February 7, 2010

Muhlenberg's Underground Music Scene

Just got back from a rockin' evening at The Red Door. Saw a musical act that was absolutely inspirational. You know those times when you're going along, kind of wanting to do SOMETHING but not really putting much effort into it, and then something or someone HITS you and you KNOW, just KNOW that you're jumping alive and into something and never going back?

Well, I got all that tonight. From a hip-hop collective.

Dan McGee, AKA Albert Rhymestein, and Ryan Acquaotta took the stage as hip-hop duo Masters of the Universe. They were backed up by the fantastic DJ Loose (Pat Cunning). The duo are alumni of Muhlenberg College, and they are going places.

It's about time hip hop met politically-conscious slam poetry, and these guys blend the traditions as though they had never been apart. They shout about gay rights, multiculturalism, art, and peace. They're ecstatic and furious, sometimes simultaneously. It was an invigorating performance, and I encourage you to check them out here and here, where you can check out their song"Elder Blossoms".

I suppose that, while we're on the topic of Muhlenberg bands, I should give a shout out to my fellow film studies major Hugh Trimble and his band Neighbor Poem, which sounds like a cross between Ra Ra Riot and Crosby, Stills, and Nash. I recommend listening to "Adam Stain".

So, I guess I'm going to get my ass moving. Who knows, maybe I'll start rapping myself. That would be...unexpected.

No comments: