Thursday, March 3, 2011

Drag Shows

Two weeks ago, I returned to my Alma Mater and happened to catch a dance show. The way I put that makes it sound like I was lounging on a cruise ship somewhere in the Aegean Sea. The "dance show" was, in truth, a mid-semester professional performance choreographed by the college's dance professors and starring the department's strongest students. One of the pieces, entitled "Hot Mess", was an experiment in high-femme camp aesthetic. Featuring songs by groups like the Eurythmics--well-known for gender-bending--the dance straddled the line of female performance and the grotesque. The stand-out number for me was set to "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)".

I love Annie Lenox's performance in this video; it's basically Cabaret redux. And there's a cow. What's not to love?

1 comment:

Shira said...

I loved that video from the first time I saw it on MTV...your take on drag was compelling; I wish you'd explore it further!